Cody-Sylvan Pass Motor Company records
L. Tom Perry Special Collections is pleased to announce the availability of a new digitized collection: Cody-Sylvan Pass Motor Company records (MSS 7635). Contains business records of the Cody-Sylvan Pass Motor Company, including profit and loss statements as well as correspondence regarding trips in automobiles through Yellowstone. Materials date from between 1915 and 1916.
The Cody-Sylvan Pass Motor Company was founded in 1913 by F. J. Haynes. In 1916, the company became the first motorized bus fleet allowed in Yellowstone. At that time, it was co-owned by William Nichols and Shaw & Powell. Their fleet consisted of seven ten-passenger trucks with open bodies, five six-passenger Buicks, one Buick service car, and one GMC Truck. In 1917, the company lost its bid to YPTCo, and Haynes was forced to sell his shares in the company.