New Primary Source Databases
The HBLL has recently acquired several databases with primary source content related to British and world history. The database links are live and discoverable on the library’s A-Z database list, and they complement Special Collection holdings:
- Travel Writing, Spectacle and World History Contains hundreds of accounts by women of their travels across the globe from the early 19th century to the late 20th century including manuscripts, diaries and correspondence, drawings, guidebooks, sketches, postcards and photographs.
- First World War: Visual Perspectives and Narratives This collection contains primary source material from the Imperial War Museum in London. Main themes include the role of women during the war, the Home Front and international perspectives.
- Popular Culture in Britain and America, 1950-1975 Contains printed and manuscript sources, visual material, ephemera and video clips.
- Foreign Office Files for China Digitized copies of the complete British Foreign Office Files dealing with China, Hong Kong and Taiwan from 1919-1980.
- American History from the Gilder Lehrman Collection Primary sources from the Gilder Lehrman Collection, one of the finest archives available for the study of American History.
- Jewish Life in America A collection of sources from the American Jewish Historical Society which explores the history of Jewish communities in America from 1654 to 1954.