Set up automatic notification of new journal articles
Publishers and library databases have made it simple for you to receive
automatic notification every time your favorite journal publishes a new issue. The following is one example of how to set up email notification for an academic music or dance journal available through the HBLL.
- Go to the International Index to Music Periodicals (IIMP). For dance journals, go to the International Index to the Performing Arts (IIPA).
- On the left side menu, click on “Browse Journals”.
- In Additional Browses, click on “Full text journals only”.
- Use the right side column “Browse journals by letter” to find the journal title for which you wish to receive email notification. I clicked on “J”, then found “Journal of the American Musicological Society” and clicked on the journal title.
- In the Journal Record display, find the link on the right that says “Set up alert” and click on it.
- If you have already set up a user profile in IIMP or IIPA, you may enter your username and password and click on the Login button. If you are a new user, you can create a login profile by clicking on “Create a Profile”. When you create a profile, you will select a username and password, and provide your email address so that the database can send you notifications whenever the journal you selected receives a new issue. Follow the directions on screen to set up your profile or login, then continue.
- On the “My Archive: Set up journal alert” screen, verify that the screen shows journal you wish to receive notification and your email address.
- You may choose to have IIMP (or IIPA) notify you whenever full text articles for a journal title are added, or whenever full citations for newly published articles in a journal are added (note: some journals to not publish immediately to electronic full text in IIMP; for these titles, IIMP indexes the most current issues with citations and abstracts, and then adds full text when it becomes available).
- Choose how long you wish IIMP (or IIPA) to continue sending automatic updates, either three months, six months, or one year.
- You many change the automatic message text or subject if you choose. I added a short message.
- When you have verified all the information on the screen, click the Save button in the bottom right. That’s it! You can set up as many notifications as you wish, and cancel them at any time in the “My Archive” section of IIMP (or IIPA).