• Home
  • Documentary Review | Sugihara: Conspiracy of Kindness

Documentary Review | Sugihara: Conspiracy of Kindness

This documentary focused on a man named Chiune Sugihara, a Japanese man who helped to rescue a lot of people. During World War 2 he was a diplomat who was stationed in various countries, but in this film we mostly learn about what he did while he was stationed in Lithuania. Sugihara was from Samurai descent and grew up with those values. He was talented at learning languages, and excelled in a school for diplomats. While he was stationed in Lithuania, which was under soviet control, he wrote visas for over two thousand Jewish people, even though a lot of the requirements weren’t met. He knew that he could get into trouble, but he also knew that it was the right thing to do, so he did it. Even when Sugihara was transferred to different locations he was still writing visas where he could. Sugihara worked long and hard, and risked a lot to help those people.

I think that the documentary is well made and easy to understand and follow, and for me the best part about this documentary was that it left me feeling good. It was inspiring and was a good change of pace to learn about someone doing the right thing when most of the time we hear about what’s wrong in our world. Also the film wasn’t too long which helped me to stay engaged, which was great. I’d say this is a good film and I would recommend it.

Written by: Aaron Conrad

Check-out Periods

Students:

• Audiobooks – 3 weeks
  • DVDs – 1 week.

Faculty:

• Audiobooks – 3 weeks
  • DVDs – 2 weeks.

Media References

Library Media Services

Media Sites

Chat with us!

Chat requires JavaScript.