Navigating in Workflows
Each command in Workflows consists of a verb and a noun (e.g. create item, edit item, search source, duplicate item, etc.) Commands can be formulated in several ways.
Use the predefined cataloging Toolbar Icons (see Cataloging Documentation 1 – for instructions on how to set up the Toolbar)
- Go to the Command button in the menu bar of the Workflows screen. A pull-down menu of Objects, Verbs and Wizards will appear.
- You can initiate a command by identifying the Object and its related Verb.
- Go to the Command button in the menu bar of the Workflows screen.
- You can initiate a command by identifying the Verb and its related Noun.
The basic commands used in cataloging are as follows:
- DISPLAY1 ITEM: used to display the descriptive bib information, call number, volumes and copies linked to an item in one or more libraries (see illustration)
This command allows records to be displayed without having to search the OPAC. If you know a barcode number, a title key, or call number of an item and want to see descriptive information or a full or restricted list of holdings, the DISPLAY1 ITEM command offers item specific information based on the options entered.
- DISPLAY2 ITEM: used to display circulation information regarding the item, its barcode and call number
- CREATE ITEM: used to create a new title, call number and/or copy to the system
Clicking on CREATE ITEM provides a screen with the three components of the record structure: Copy record, Call number record and Title record (fixed fields, bibliographic information, holdings and spine label).
- DUPLICATE ITEM: used to create a new title by copying the title, call number, copy and descriptive information of an existing title
- EDIT ITEM: used to make changes to an existing copy, call number, bib record or fixed fields
- TRANSFER ITEM
- REMOVE ITEM: used by an authorized operator to remove a title, call number and/or copy records from the system
- BROWSE AUTHORITY (no Icon?)
- DISPLAY1 AUTHORITY
- CREATE AUTHORITY
- DUPLICATE AUTHORITY
- EDIT AUTHORITY
- REMOVE AUTHORITY: used by an authorized operator to remove an authority record
Overview/Searching WorkFlows Help:
Maintained by: Dale Swensen
Last Updated: September 2002