Prior to the popularization of school yearbooks, autograph albums were commonly used by students to gather notes and other remembrances from their fellow students at the end of the year. The archives recently received a fine example of an autograph book from Brigham Young Academy created by Ole Ellingson, a student during the 1885-1886 school year.
Among the signatures found in the album are those of faculty members, including principal Karl G. Maeser and later president Benjamin Cluff, Jr.
There are also numerous entries from his classmates, which include comments on life at the Academy and the nature of the instruction.
Other examples of autograph albums in our collections include the Belle Harris autograph album (MSS 153), the Stephen L. Chipman autograph album (MSS 122), and the Richard Roswell Lyman autograph album (MSS 1079 box 1 folder 2).
Another prominent alumnus of 1891 was Anthony C. Lund, son of apostle Anthon H. Lund. Speaking as class valedictorian (https://archive.org/stream/commencementexer1891brig#page/38/mode/2up), Lund called on his fellow students to help “water a part of God’s vineyard.” Taking this call to heart, he served both the Church and the University over the course of his career–first as a music professor at Brigham Young University and later as conductor of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
Anthony C. Lund
Lund was born on February 25, 1871 in Ephraim, Utah to Anthon H. and Anna Christina Anderson Lund. He attended schools in Ephraim, as well as taking organ lessons from the age of eight. In 1888 he came to the Brigham Young Academy to study didactics, graduating with the Normal Class of 1891 as valedictorian. Shortly thereafter he travelled to the Leipzig Conservatory of Music where he studied from 1891 to 1893. He later returned to complete his coursework in Leipzig, stating on his return in 1899 that he could now “feel myself able as a vocal teacher.”
At Brigham Young University, Tony Lund served as professor of music from 1893 to 1899, and again from 1902 to 1915. During this time he was able to establish a strong teaching program, and conducted at numerous concerts that brought positive attention to the school. Near the end of his service, he described the music program in the Banyan as follows:
The B.Y.U. Music Department has twenty-six representative students teaching school music. A similar number of choir leaders are doing splendid community service. It numbers among its singers several in important places in opera in Europe and America. Its weekly recitals by teachers and pupils have disseminated as much culture as any organization in the West.
Amid his teaching responsibilities, Lund also spent a year as president of the Brigham Young University Alumni Association (1904-1905).
However, in 1916 Lund was appointed to head the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in Salt Lake City, replacing Evan Stephens.
A small collection of papers on Lund are available in Special Collections amid his wife Cornelia’s papers (MSS 279 box 4 folder 4), in addition to his faculty file (UA 909 box 110 folder 29). A brief biography may also be found in T. Earl Pardoe’s Sons of Brigham (Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University Press, 1969).
Another collection available for researchers exploring the history of the university is the compiled collection of university faculty and administrator photographs (UA 947). Brought together from various sources by University Archives staff, the collection provides quick access to individual faculty images produced by university photographers up to 2001. Some attempts were also made to bring together images of early faculty members, which are included in the collection. Together, this collection provides a wonderful visual representation of the men and women who built the university to what it is today.
The Brigham Young Academy faculty, 1888
To simplify access to the photographs, the finding aid for the collection has now been updated to include a file listing of the individuals listed in the collection. Researchers should use the search box on the right side of the linked page to look for particular individuals, or the finding aid can be browsed using the navigation boxes at the bottom right.
If you have any questions about UA 947, please contact the University Archivist, Cory Nimer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-422-6091.
With snow covering the ground here in Provo, and more in the forecast before school starts, the importance of safe driving is as much a concern today as it has been in years past. As cars became more available and Brigham Young University attendance grew under President Ernest L. Wilkinson, it meant more students traveling greater distances for the holidays. As a result, beginning in December 1956 the student paper, The Brigham Young Universe, published an annual series of articles on the importance of driving safely.
These features typically included illustrations, such as the one above, or photographs of automobile accidents, accompanied by stories and statistics meant to encourage safe driving. While such tactics eventually fell out of favor in the newspaper, we hope that everyone will be careful on the roads on the return to Provo as classes return next week.
Graduating as president of the Normal Class of 1891, Richard R. Lyman described “an incalculable debt of gratitude” he felt to Brigham Young Academy for the care and teaching he and his classmates received. Over the course of his public life, Lyman worked to advance the cause of education in Utah, and contributed to the growth and development of the Academy and later Brigham Young University. This included service in various capacities–as principal of the academy’s high school, as a member of the Church Board of Education and the university’s Board of Trustees, and as a faculty lecturer.
Richard R. Lyman
Lyman was born in Fillmore, Utah on November 23, 1870 to apostle Frances M. Lyman and his wife Clara. He attended school in Tooele before being sent at age 11 to study at Brigham Young Academy in Provo. After completing his studies he was sent by his father to Brigham Young College in Logan, where we worked for a year as an assistant teacher before returning to study in Provo. He was elected president of his Normal Class, and graduated with his classmates on May 21, 1891. Like Edwin S. Hinckley, after graduation he headed east to attend the University of Michigan. While there he again served as his class president–both as a sophomore and a senior.
After completing his bachelor’s degree Lyman returned to Provo, where he worked as principal of the Academy’s high school program from 1895 to 1896 before joining the faculty at the University of Utah. While working for the university he also completed a master’s degree in civil engineering from the University of Chicago in 1903, and a Ph.D. from Cornell University in 1905. This educational preparation and experience served Lyman well following his call as an apostle of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1918. Among his ecclesiastical assignments he became closely engaged with BYU, serving as a member of the Church Board of Education (1919-1943) and university’s Board of Trustees (1939-1943), as president of the Alumni Association (1927-1930), and as a faculty lecturer on community building (1921-1926).
During his tenure on Church and university boards, Lyman made significant contributions to the success of the Brigham Young University. As a counselor to the Commissioner of Church Education he helped select Franklin S. Harris as university president in 1921, advocated for continued funding of the university during the financial crisis of 1929-1930, and established the Alumni Association Emeritus Club in 1941.
Speaking at the university’s graduation ceremonies in June 1943, Lyman fondly recalled his affiliation and service at Brigham Young University, saying:
“As a student in this institution, as a graduate of this school, as a member of the faculty and as a member of the Board of Trustees I have been more or less familiar with the affairs of this great educational institution since 1882 when, nearly sixty-one years ago at the early age of eleven, I entered the preparatory department. The school itself when I came to the old Lewis Theatre Building on Center Street was but six years old. Sixty-one years of happy and intimate association with the students, the faculty members, and those who have served on the Board of Trustees covers a period longer perhaps than such association has been enjoyed by any other individual.
Do you wonder then that is a joy to me and a source of keenest pride and satisfaction to be here in this magnificent building, to see the great growth of the Brigham Young University.”
More information on Lyman and his support of the university is available in his personal papers, which are held in Special Collections (MSS 1079), as well as in his faculty file (UA 909 box 111 folders 3-4). For a historical summary of his early life, see the L.D.S. Biographical Encyclopedia.
As mentioned in President Worthen’s devotional address earlier this month, the lighting of the Y has been a long tradition at Brigham Young University. The first lighting was made in 1924, and became a regular event at special events in the years that followed. As described in an early newspaper account,
members of the student body and many towns-people were thrilled…to see the big block ‘Y’ on the mountain east of Provo outlined in flames.
The Gold Y, a campus-based honorary service fraternity, took responsibility for lighting the Y after its establishment in 1936, taking its name from the symbol of the lit Block Y on the mountain. In 1941 this group joined the national Intercollegiate Knights organization as its Gold Y Chapter.
Among the records of the Intercollegiate Knights held by the University Archives is the Gooker’s Guide, a detailed set of instructions for their members on how school letter was to be lit, including directions for creating the balls of mattress stuffing used for the fires and detailed diagrams for the placement of oil pots around the Y. The Intercollegiate Knights lit the Y in this way regularly until the the spring of 1985 when a class gift of electric lights and a generator replaced the oil pots. This past summer, the university installed permanent lights around the letter to simplify the process of lighting the Y.
For more information on lighting the Y or the Intercollegiate Knights, see this earlier posting or contact the University Archivist at email@example.com.
While other members of the Class of 1891 later returned to teach at Brigham Young Academy and Brigham Young University, O. W. Andelin joined the faculty immediately after receiving his collegiate degree with the BYA class of 1893. Over a twenty year teaching career he contributed to the growth of the university, though, as his son described him, he remained “an active student all his life.”
Olof Wilhelm Andelin
Andelin was born in Salt Lake City to Swedish immigrant parents in 1867, and raised in central Utah. As a teenager he was trained in his father’s craft of masonry, and later worked as a photographer’s assistant in southern Utah. He determined to pursue an education, and studied at the Fillmore Stake Academy from 1887 to 1890. While there he married Mary Elizabeth Turner, and they had six children. After completing his studies in Fillmore, he attended Brigham Young Academy, receiving a normal degree in 1891 and a Bachelor of Pedagogy in 1893.
After graduation, President Benjamin Cluff pressured Andelin to remain at the Academy as a teacher. While this was not his original intention, he was successful as a teacher, and well-liked by his students. This marked the beginning of a twenty year career at the Academy and University, which included teaching a range of subjects from Church history, to German, French, and Latin. He also served as the assistant chorister in the Domestic Organization, librarian, and eighth grade teacher in the Training School.
Working at the university during this period was in many ways an act of consecration. Faculty members were often paid in tithing script, which was redeemable at the bishop’s storehouse. Due to low salaries at the university, Andelin eventually purchased a plot of land on 700 East between 500 and 600 North where he planted orchards and grew vegetables. Mary Andelin also took in boarders to supplement the family income.
In 1912 Andelin left the university faculty, and thereafter focused on his fruit and vegetable farming. He also started an insurance business, which he continued after a move to Salt Lake City in 1931. He later died in Salt Lake in 1946.
More information about Andelin’s life and service at Brigham Young University is available in his faculty file (UA 909 box 3 folder 16), which includes multiple biographical sketches by his son Aubrey). Another version of the sketch is available online through FamilySearch.
The college faculty of Brigham Young University, 1913
For researchers interested in the growth, development, achievements, and character of the Brigham Young University faculty and staff, the compiled sources available in the University Archives Collection on University Faculty and Staff (UA 909) is a valuable resource. The collection includes a wide range of sources aggregated by archives staff and filed under the name of each individual between the 1970s and the early 2000s.
While attempts were made to comprehensively document faculty and administrators from the founding of the school in 1875, the scope of the individual files in the collection varies widely. For prominent individuals such as university presidents there may be more than a box of letters, forms, memorandums, biographical sketches and photographs. For other individuals, only a single clippings from a newsletter may be available. Nevertheless, these files can provide unexpected and important information on the lives of the men and women who have worked to make Brigham Young University what it is today.
To improve access to these materials, the finding aid for these materials has been revised and a new version made available in the finding aids database (see above for link). Researchers may use the search box on the right side of the page to look for particular individuals, or the finding aid can be browsed using the navigation boxes at the bottom right.
If you have any questions about UA 909, please contact the University Archivist, Cory Nimer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-422-6091.
In preparation for this year’s Brimhall Essay Contest, a new popular search topic is now available on resources for Susa Young Gates in the University Archives. While many of the most important primary sources on Gates’s life are held in other repositories, there are some useful records available locally that may be used for writing essays. For additional assistance, please contact the University Archivist at email@example.com or at 801-422-6091.
Another member of the Class of 1891 was Thomas Jarvis Yates, who is remembered as the first seminary teacher in the Church. While he pursued a career as a mechanical engineer following his graduation from Brigham Young Academy, Yates retained a love of teaching throughout his life.
Portrait of Class of 1891. Yates standing just right of center in the back row. (LTPSC UA P 2)
Thomas J. Yates
Thomas Jarvis was born in 1870 in Scipio, Utah to Thomas Yates and Elizabeth Francis. During his studies at the Millard Stake Academy in Fillmore, he developed an appreciation of teaching and determined to obtain a normal degree. In the winter of 1890-1891 he studied at Brigham Young Academy with Karl G. Maeser and Benjamin Cluff, and was able to complete the program with the Class of 1891. After graduation he hoped to attend college in the East, but due to finances decided to work as a teacher in Deseret, Utah and in Meadow, Utah. By 1894 he had determined to leave for college the following year, but his plans were interrupted by a mission call to the Southern States. After his return he attended Cornell University, earning degrees in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering.
Returning from New York in 1902, Yates took a position with Utah Power and Light working in power plants. By 1907 he began consulting in the area, building power plants in Heber City and Murray, Utah. It was during this time living in the Sugar House Ward in Salt Lake City that Yates was approached by his stake president, Frank Y. Taylor, and Joseph F. Merrill to establish a seminary to provide religious instruction for students at Granite High School, the first program of its kind in the Church. While Yates was only able to remain for the initial 1912-1913 school year due to other obligations, his work during that year provided the model for Church educational growth during the 20th century.
More information about Thomas J. Yates in available in Yates’ autobiography, a copy of which is held in Special Collections (MSS 6831). A fuller discussion of Yates and the Granite High School Seminary is also provided in a biographical essay by Casey Paul Griffiths from the Religious Educator.