20th Century Art Book. 1996. HumRef N 6490 .T9 1996
Arnason. History of Modern Art: Painting, Sculpture, Architecture, Photography. 5th ed. 2004.
HumRef N 6490 .A713 2004
Atkins. Artspeak: A Guide to Contemporary Ideas, Movements, Buzzwords. 1997.
Bell. Contemporary Art Trends 1960-1980: A Guide to Sources. HumRef N 6490 .X1 B44
Bright. Art Photography Now. 2005. HumRef TR 650 .B686x 2005
Chronology of Twentieth Century History: Arts and Culture. 1998. 2 vols. HumRef NX 456 .C534 1998
Clebert. Dictionnaire du surrealisme. 1996. HumRef N 6494 .S8 C64x 1996
Costello. Art: Key Contemporary Thinkers. 2007. HumRef N 66 .A76 2007
Dempsey. Art in the Modern Era. HumRef N 6440 .D415 2002
Evans. Contemporary Photographers. 1995. HumRef TR 139 .C664 1995
Foster. Crisis and The Arts: The History of Dada. 4 vols. HumRef NX 456.6 .D3 C75 1996
Gray. Action Art: A Bibliography of Artists' Performance from Futurism to Fluxus and Beyond.
HumRef NX 600.P47 G75x 1993
Hillstrom. Contemporary Women Artists. 1999. HumRef N 8354 .C66 1999
Kostelanetz. Dictionary of the Avant-Gardes. 1999. HumRef NX 456 .K67 2000
Lobstein. Dictionnaire des independants, 1884-1914. 2003. 3 vols. HumRef N 6850 .L63x 2003
Lucie-Smith. Artoday. HumRef N 6490 .L7783x 1995
------. Lives of the Great 20th-Century Artists. HumRef N 6489 .L83 2000
Modern Arts Criticism. 1991. 4 vols. HumRef N6490.M63
NYT Guide to the Arts of the 20th Century. 2002. 4 vols. HumRef NX 456 .N49 2002
On Exhibit (annual). HumRef N 510 .O5
Pendergast. Contemporary Artists. 2002. 2 vols. HumRef N6490.C6567 2002
Ruhrberg and Walker. Art of the 20th Century. 2000. HumRef N 6490 .A717 2000
Zollner. The Prestel Dictionary of Art and Artists in the 20th Century. 2000. HumRef N 6490 .P72x 2000
I. Lee Library
- Books, exhibition catalogs, and museum catalogs located in the Lee Library can be found by searching the Library Catalog. You can search by artist's name, artistic style, time period, country, museum or gallery, or any combination of keywords. Art books are catalogued according to the Library of Congress Subject Headings, and are classified according to:
medium. Ex: painting; sculpture; drawing; video art; digital art; conceptual art; installations (art); performance art; experimental films; documentary films
nationality. Ex: Sculpture, British -- 20th century; Painting, French -- 19th century
genre. Ex: portrait painting; landscape painting; earthworks (art)
time period. Ex: art, modern--20th century; arts, german--19th century
style or movement. Ex: cubism; fauvism; action art; modernism (art);
- Exhibition Catalogs have subject headings for the artist/artists or subject of an exhibition, as well a for the museum or gallery. Use the keyword "exhibitions" and the artist's name or topic.
s=Whitney Museum of American Art--Exhibitions
k= Kara Walker and exhibitions
s= Race in art--Exhibitions
s=Art, Modern--21st century--Exhibitions
- Look for bibliographies on your topic. Helpful subdivisions include: --Sources; --Bibliography; --Bibliographies (Ex: k=Art, Modern and Sources)
- Museum Catalogs are cataloged by the name of the museum and the subdivision -- Catalogs (Ex: Tate Modern and Catalogs)
- Whitney Biennial Exhibition Catalogs. N 65122 .W532
- Biennale di Venezia Catalogs. N 6488 .I8 V43
- Catalogues raisonnes (complete catalogs of an artist's works) have the subdivision "--catalogues raisonnes"
Ex: s=Motherwell, Robert--Catalogues raisonnes
- Films (DVDs) are also indexed in the Library Catalog. You can search the name of an artist or a topic with the keyword "videorecording"
Ex: k=Wegman and videorecording
You can also use "DVDs" as a genre search (Ex: s=video art and genre=DVDs)
All films are located in the LRC (Learning Resource Center) on level 4. You can check them out or view them in a large high-resolution screen in the LRC.
II. Other Libraries
For a more comprehensive search of your topic, be sure to search the online catalogs of other libraries. WORLDCAT is a comprehensive database of materials held by other research libraries. Once you identify the materials you need, and order them online (free of charge) through Interlibrary Loan Services.
Don't limit your research to books in the Lee Library: find out all that is available on your topic.
To find articles in journals, magazines, or newspapers, you must search your topic in several periodical indexes.
- Go to the Subject page for Art & Art History, and see list of suggested indexes and databases. Some of those databases include full-text articles, others only give you a citation for the articles.
- If there is no full-text version for the journal you are looking for, you must then look for the print format of the periodical in the Library (Periodicals Room, level 2). If the Lee Library does not own the journal, you can easily order the article online, through Interlibrary Loan Services.
- To find out if the Lee Library has the periodical you are looking for, search the box "Journal Finder" on the main page. It will give you the call number or link to full-text.
- If you need to order articles through Interlibrary Loan, go to Services, Interlibrary Loan, and sign in.
Following is a selective list of periodicals covering contemporary art. Use the "Journal Finder" to find out if the journal is available full-text, or if the Library has a print subscription. All print journals are located in the Periodicals Room, level 2.
Art in America
B & W (Black and White Magazine)
Contemporary Appendx: Culture, Theory, Praxis
Frieze: Contemporary Art and Culture
Journal of Popular Culture
Raw Vision: International Journal of Intuitive and Visionary Art
and more ...
- Chinati Foundation http://www.chinati.org/
- Contemporary Art Museum (St. Louis) http://www.contemporarystl.org/
- DIA Center for the Arts http://www.diacenter.org/
- Gagosian Gallery http://www.gagosian.com/
- Guggenheim Museum http://www.guggenheim.org/
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden http://hirshhorn.si.edu/
- ICA Boston http://www.icaboston.org/
- ICP (International Center of Photography) http://www.icp.org/
- LACMA (Los Angeles) http://www.lacma.org/
- MASS MOCA http://www.massmoca.org/
- The Mattress Factory http://www.mattress.org/
- MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) http://moma.org/
- Museum of Contemporary Art (Chicago) http://www.mcachicago.org/
- New Museum of Contemporary Art http://www.newmuseum.org/
- P.S.1 MOMA http://www.ps1.org/
- Pulitzer Foundation for the Arts http://www.pulitzerarts.org/
- SF MOMA http://www.sfmoma.org/
- Walker Art Center http://www.walkerart.org/index.wac
- Whitney Museum of American Art http://www.whitney.org/
- Tate Modern http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/
- Hayward Gallery http://www.haywardgallery.org.uk/
- Saatchi Gallery http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/ and their UK Gallery Guide
- Institute of Contemporary Arts http://www.ica.org.uk/
- Centre Pompidou http://www.centrepompidou.fr
- Musee du quai Branly http://www.quaibranly.fr/
- Musee d'Art moderne de la Ville de Paris http://www.paris.fr/portail/Culture/Portal.lut?page_id=6450
- Contemporary Art in Paris http://www.geocities.com/contemporaryparis/
- All Museums in Paris http://en.parisinfo.com/museums-monuments-paris/museums/