A bibliography of books about women in the Middle East in a RefWorks database.
Many of the entries were taken from the book, Women in the Middle East and North Africa: an Annotated Bibliography by Ayad al-Qazzaz which includes abstracts. A few other abstracts have been included for more current works and, over time, more abstracts will be added.
Guidelines for inclusion:
- Mostly books (a few articles)
- English language only
- Publication date from early 1900s to present
- Non-fiction only but includes memoirs and personal essays
- Covers Middle East and North Africa although some general works on Islam are included if they discuss the ME area.
- Time coverage is from 600 AD so from Islamic time forward but most of the books deal with modern times.
RefWorks is a bibliography manager – items can be exported from online catalogs and periodical indexes into a reference list. The entire database or portions of it can be transported into whatever style format desired. This bibliography is in a RefShare module which means it can be accessed through a URL.
Go to bibliography
How to use the bibliography
On the multi-listing bibliography page
- for full record of an individual entry, click on “view” at the right side of the page across from the entry number
- for the full view of all records, click on view tab at the top and select full
- click on the authors name to obtain all entries by that author
- list is sorted by primary author but can be changed and sorted in a variety of ways – see “sort by” drop down box list in upper right hand corner
How to search
There are two ways to search the bibliography
- On the front page, the upper right-hand box searches keywords and returns results in order of relevance
- Click on the search tab and select advanced – click on authors, title words or descriptors (subject headings) to search which one you want
To create a customized bibliography:
- Mark items desired
- Click on “create bibliography” tab
- Select output style from drop-down list
- Choose file type (HTML, Word, etc.)
- Click on “create bibliography” button at bottom
- Can print or export your list